Ventura Manslaughter Defense Attorney
Being charged with manslaughter is an incredibly serious accusation. Manslaughter refers to the unlawful killing of another human being without premeditated intent. If convicted, penalties for this offense may result in up to 11 years in prison. If you have been accused of manslaughter, the criminal defense lawyers at The Law Offices of Bamieh & Erickson, PLC may be able to help you.
With decades worth of combined legal experience, we can assist you in building a strong defense aimed at reducing your sentence and sometimes resulting in acquittal. As a Circle of Excellence Award recipients and West County Favorite Law Firm, we have the experience and dedication you need and are prepared to stand with you.
Get an award winning defense for your manslaughter case. Call (805) 651-3133 to speak with a violent crimes lawyer today.
What are the Different Types of Manslaughter Charges?
In California, manslaughter charges are broken up into two different categories: voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. Voluntary manslaughter is most often classified as a killing that occurred in the heat of passion or during a sudden quarrel. As opposed to murder, the killing is not planned beforehand and is usually the result of an impulsive decision.
ndant’s actions that were the proximate cause of the damages. Normally, the courts use a “but for” test. They will investigate the situation to learn whether the accident would not have occurred “but for” the defendant’s behavior.
- Damages: The plaintiff must show that the defendant suffered harm and loss as a result of the injury. If there were no damages suffered, the lawsuit has no merit.
- Breach of duty: Plaintiffs can also argue that the defendant failed to meet a set standard of care. This could mean a failure to warn, a failure to diagnose, or a failure to prevent injury.
Winning Damages in a Personal Injury Case
If you are able to prove that the defendant was negligent and that you suffered specific damages in your case as a result of that negligence, you will be awarded a verdict or settlement. Our team always works toward the highest settlement or verdict possible in every case. The court evaluates many different elements when deciding the value of a settlement or verdict.
Compensation Awards May Include:
- Recompense for physical pain and suffering
- Compensation for loss of quality of life
- Recompense for emotional pain and suffering
- Compensation for loss of ability to perform household duties (paying for a housekeeper)
- Compensation for lost wages during recovery
- Compensation for medical expenses
- Repayment for disfigurement
- Compensation for future medical expenses
- Repayment for permanent disability
- Compensation for loss of consortium
- Repayment for loss of parental guidance, which may be awarded in wrongful death cases
Rely on an Experienced Santa Barbara Defense Lawyer
Some jurisdictions will also award punitive damages. Punitive damages are used to punish a defendant for his or her conduct. Normally, punitive damages are used to discourage others from committing the same act or behavior.
If you want to learn more about the personal injury lawsuits or want our team to help you with your case, call us right away. With the right team on your side, you have a better chance of working toward a satisfactory settlement. Contact our Ventura personal injury law firm today for more information!