Ventura Birth Injury Lawyer
Welcoming your baby into the world should be a joyous occasion, but when doctors make careless errors during or prior to delivery, what should be a celebration can turn into a tragedy.
If your infant son or daughter suffered a birth injury due to medical malpractice, or if you were injured by medical errors while giving birth, your family may be entitled to compensation to ensure that your child will receive quality treatment and care. The Ventura County birth trauma attorneys of Bamieh & Erickson can help. We have more than 20 years of experience fighting for justice and compensation on behalf of mothers and fathers in California. To set up a free legal consultation, call our law offices at (805) 585-5056.
Common Birth Injuries to Infants from Medical Malpractice in California
Birth injuries are defined as an impairment of an infant’s body function or structure due to an adverse event that occurred during labor or delivery. Even with the advances in modern obstetrical care and prenatal diagnosis, injuries still occur during or after labor and delivery. In some cases, the mother also sustains a preventable injury, or develops a life-threatening infection.
Birth injuries vary widely and range from minor lacerations and bruising to significant neonatal morbidity or mortality. A birth injury lawsuit arises when a baby suffers undue and avoidable injuries at the hands of a negligent or careless doctor, nurse, obstetrician, hospital, or other healthcare provider.
Common examples of birth injuries and complications that can be caused by medical mistakes include:
- Abdominal Bleeding and Hemorrhaging — Some blood loss during vaginal or cesarean (C-section) delivery is normal, but heavy bleeding, also called hemorrhaging, can be life-threatening if not immediately and skillfully managed.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPI) — The brachial plexus is a collection of nerves that transmits signals that control arm, hand, and shoulder movement. A BPI can limit movement and weaken muscle strength in the affected limb.
- Cerebral Palsy — The causes of cerebral palsy are still being studied, but this condition frequently occurs as a result of birth trauma. In severe cases, cerebral palsy can cause seizures, mobility problems, and cognitive impairment.
- Cranial Nerve Injury — Everyone has 12 pairs of cranial nerves on the underside of their brain. When cranial nerves are damaged, the victim can develop vision problems or hearing problems, or have trouble controlling head or tongue motions.
- Erb’s Palsy — Erb’s palsy is a common form of BPI in which the victim’s arm becomes paralyzed.
- Facial Nerve Palsy — Also known as Bell’s palsy, facial nerve palsy causes drooping on one side of the face, which can cause children to be bullied and develop severe depression or social anxiety.
- Hypoxia — Hypoxia occurs when the brain or other parts of the body do not receive an adequate oxygen supply. Hypoxia can cause fatal complications if not treated promptly.
- Klumpke’s Palsy — Similar to Erb’s palsy, Klumpke’s palsy is a form of BPI which causes paralysis of the hand and forearm.
- Pitocin Overdose Complications — Pitocin, or oxytocin, is a drug commonly used to induce labor and/or help manage post-birth bleeding. However, an overdose of Pitocin can lead to serious complications like fetal heart abnormalities and brain damage, or be fatal for the mother or child
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) — Spinal cord injuries, which often result in permanent paralysis, can occur when a doctor applies excessive force during delivery, such as improper use of forceps, or improperly handled vacuum extraction, which can also cause shoulder dystocia.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) — Traumatic brain injuries can cause debilitating cognitive impairments that affect basic mental and physical functions like memory, learning, communication, movement, balance, and respiration.
- Wrongful Death — A wrongful death is defined as a death caused by the careless or unlawful acts of another person.
Did Your Baby Son or Daughter Suffer Birth Trauma? Get Help from a Santa Barbara Injury Attorney
Birth injuries and fetal deaths should be a thing of the past, yet tragically, occur every day in California’s hospital rooms. If your infant daughter or son was injured at the hands of a negligent doctor or medical team, you deserve to be compensated for the heartache you have been put through — and your child deserves access to the medical care he or she needs, without your family having to worry about how you’re going to pay for it.
Let us help you fight to see that justice is served for your family, and that a strong message is sent to the medical professionals who failed you. Not only has our firm handled thousands of cases, we specifically have experience going up against large corporations and their insurance companies. Our Oxnard birth injury attorneys have a proven track record, earning selection for inclusion in California’s Super Lawyers®, selection for The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and a 10.0 Superb Avvo rating.
Contact The Law Offices of Bamieh & Erickson, PLC for compassionate, caring, yet aggressive legal representation from our Ventura birth malpractice lawyers. We handle cases throughout Ventura County and Santa Barbara County, including Oxnard, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Santa Maria, Goleta, Lompoc, Ojai, and beyond. To arrange a free legal consultation, call our law offices at (805) 585-5056 today. We will keep your family’s information confidential.